Thursday, November 1, 2012

Kayden turned 7 and his skyscraper cake!

Two days ago the son who made me a mother turned seven.  I look back at the seven years and we have made so very many memories and yet I look at my tall, slender son and wonder where on earth has the time gone?  Where has that little baby gone?  I remember with fondness rocking him to sleep, snuggling him during his babyhood, reveling in him learning to walk and finding his independence.  I even very vividly remember the first time he dumped an entire box of cheerios on the floor and began eating them one by one and I just laughed and took pictures.  The second time it was a little less funny, and eventually became completely unfunny altogether.  

He is the son that I made most of my mistakes on so I could parent better with the next ones.  He is the son who made me appreciate how easy of a baby my next one was.  He is the son who amuses me with almost everything he says.  I LOVE to hear the way his mind works and hate that my laughter hurts his feelings, because that is most certainly never my intent.

I'm so thankful to have been made a mommy by this son.  This big brother of all big brothers.  He's so great at his role.

For his birthday we let him have a friend over on Saturday and did a few special things.  
Super yummy caramel apples with caramel.  I found this caramel "recipe" on pinterest.  Ha, I spend a lot of time on pinterest. lol  You just take a can of sweetened condensed milk and stick it in a crock pot - put something under it, I used foil, you could use a saucer, but the can will leave rust marks if you don't put something under it. Cover it completely with water.  It has to be completely under water or there is a danger of exploding.  Put it on low for 8hrs.  Cool completely for several hours before opening.  I rinsed mine in cold water and then stuck it in the fridge for about 4 hours before opening.  It was perfect.  Honest.

Then ON his birthday he asked for pumpkin pancakes which were really yummy.

Then we took the kids to the children's museum where we were the ONLY people there besides the employees.  We had so much fun.
Came home for presents.

Spaghetti and meatballs is what he asked to have for dinner.  That was followed quickly by the much awaited "City and skyscraper" cake that Kayd had requested.  I think I pulled it off ok. I was pretty proud of the whole thing.  Tried my hand at marshmallow fondant even.  Seriously people - SUPER easy.  Very sticky, but SUPER easy.  Just search on pinterest.  I read about 5 different blog tutorials about it and they were all pretty much the same.

And then the day was done.  After he went to bed I told KOJ that I felt like the day was not a good one.  I felt kind of detached from it, like I was just going through the motions because it's what I'm supposed to do.  He told me I get slightly depressed on all the kids' birthdays.  Who knew?  Well, regardless of how I felt or viewed the day Kayd assured me that he had a great birthday.  I'm so glad he did.

No comments:

Post a Comment