Friday, September 23, 2011

Fall Fun(k)

I'm sorry I've been neglecting my blog so much lately. 

As you might have imagined life with four small children gets busy and hectic and the housework never ends so there is ALWAYS something to do.  Something that takes importance over writing a blog post usually.

But I have a few quiet moments (in which I SHOULD be doing something else but am not) where no children are screaming at or around me.

I've heard that it is fall.  I look out my window and see that it is fall as we are blessed to live in a region where leaves change colors and fall from the trees.  The weather channel app on my desk top tells me that the weather is incredibly fall like.  And posts on FB and mom boards I read abound with well wishes for the first official day of the fall season.

And I am excited and thrilled and in a funk.  I love this season.  I love these temps.  I love hot chocolate and coffee.  I LOVE pumpkin goodies.  I love to start watching nostalgic and corny Christmas movies at this point in the season ( I don't know why but fall has ALWAYS inspired this in me).  The problem is that instead of vegging on the couch with endless hours of movies and yummy fresh baked pumpkin goodies from our kitchen I have these things called responsibilities (ya know, laundry, dishes, four children who need to be fed three meals and a couple of snacks a day and put for naps and a baby girl who still needs diaper changes and help getting dressed and out of and back into bed, and school - don't forget school it's the big one).

So instead of wallowing further (because I have spent a large portion of this week wallowing) I thought "gee maybe I should think outside of the box I've attempted to put my life into (which is pointless anyway because I assure you if you even THINK the word schedule or routine the baby will KNOW and do everything in their tiny little powers to completely screw with it) and figure out how to embrace my love for fall in a way that can also school the children keep the house picked up.  Now I can do the first but eh about the 2nd.  I just have to stay at terms with the reality that the laundry and dishes just need done and really aren't going to give me anything in return. lol

So I am on a mission now.  A mission to make school for the next few weeks all about fall.  We're going to FINALLY do our apple unit (took a little longer to finish our FIAR book Lentil after our vacation) and then move steadily on to pumpkins.  And who said that baking couldn't be involved in school??  Not me.  That's for sure.  So I'll make sure Squirrel gets his spelling and math and grammar done but mostly we're going to have some fun.  FALL fun!  Ready?  Set?  GO!

No comments:

Post a Comment