Thursday, August 11, 2011

My movie shelf makeover

Ok so we have a totally huge and fantastic built in tv space in our living room.  I like it.  A LOT.  But that shelf above the tv can be hard for me to reach.  I'm short.  It's tall.  See the problem?  So we tried to organize it in a way that I would be able to see and maybe easily get what we wanted to see down.  We have tons of VHS tapes and we actually use them on a pretty regular basis so I don't want to put them in the basement or upstairs even.  But they were a mess.  So now I have a question.  What does this



and this


have in common?

Well I'll tell you my friends.  In a minute.  First you have to read the whole story.

So I read a blog post the other day about creating cheap storage out of the cardboard boxes the kids' diapers come in.  Woot!  So, when I was reading this other blog I thought, gee that's nice, and they turned out cute, but those would NEVER stand up as toy bins in my home.  I closed the blog and moved on with my life.  Until last night.  I was lamenting the complete mess that was our movie shelf and thought "I wish I have some deep bins for that shelf" when WHAM it hit me!  Those bins, on that blog, made out of the boxes!  So I hunted around for some fabric I could use to cover my very own boxes.  Yes, we cloth diaper but they all wear sposies at night, so shoot me.  So we just got a shipment of diapers the other day and I went and found that I had a 2nd box in the laundry room.  I used hot glue to attach the fabric to the boxes, and voila, two deep bins for my movie shelf.  And isn't it amazing???
last night that mess of cords was neatly contained.  Children must have happened this morning. GAH.


So yeah, those bins would never last in the toy room but up there they work great and hold all of our movies and it looks so tidy.  I'm not completely thrilled with the fronts of the boxes, I feel like they need more life, something to make them pop.  I'm open to suggestions!

PS.  I searched for the blog I originally found this box idea on and I have NO idea where it is.  If I find it I will come back and link up to give them credit.  I promise!

1 comment:

  1. Looks awesome. What about laminated pics of the kids scattered on the front. Or of their fav movies/cartoons. you could attach with velcro and swap out the kids' pics if you go that way! :)

    ReplyDelete