Saturday, May 21, 2011

Sunday

Saturday there was a lot of hoopla.  Well actually, the whole week leading up to today was full of hoopla.  Various comments, snide remarks, jokes, and scriptural refute of the matter of the rapture that was scheduled for 6pm on May 21st, 2011.

A few things in my own world - facebook, conversation with family in real life, etc. have left me thinking about this in a more serious and less humorous light.

First - someone mentioned that this "prophecy" did seem to be making some people stand up and take stock of their lives.  Perhaps it has done some good in the few that have decided to seek out the truth.  My own sister who walked away from church and God after a terrible experience in her late teen years said she prayed.  She was truly worried about "What if this really happens?"  And ya know, I have a confidence in my salvation that I could kinda shrug it off.  If it happened, it happened.  But I knew it wasn't going to (more about that in a minute) but it never occurred to me until today that it might have spurred a lot of people on to get things right with God.

Second - the bible says that no man knows the hour or the day of the rapture.  So I offhandedly dismissed this "prophecy" because I knew it was errant based on the truth of the bible.

I'm not an outgoing person.  I don't shove my beliefs on people.  But I have opportunity right now, in this forum of my personal blog to share my beliefs.  A lot of people who read my blog are fellow Christian moms who know what I believe and why.  But maybe there is even ONE person out there who does not know Jesus as their personal savior and this is my moment to share with them.  To reach out to them.

I believe that the bible is the inspired word of God.  I believe it to be completely true from beginning to end.  I believe that God created the heavens and the earth.  I believe that sin happened in the garden of Eden.  I believe that Jesus was God become flesh born of a virgin.  I believe that he walked upon the earth among men and lived a perfect life - being human and God at the same time.  I believe that when the time came he humbly surrendered his own human will to live and skip out on the pain and torture of the death he suffered, and instead took up the cross and the pain that came with it.  Dying a gruesome death.  I believe that he was put in the tomb, and rose again three days later.  I believe that he walked among his disciples and then ascended into heaven.  And I believe that He is the one and ONLY way to have a personal relationship with God (which was the intention of our creation to start with) and that only by accepting the sacrifice He made for us on the cross can we spend eternity in heaven with God.  I believe that those who do not accept the sacrifice of Jesus and follow him as their personal Lord and savior will spend eternity in the lake of fire - eternally separated from the love of God.  I do believe that one day the rapture will happen.  One day those of us who have accepted the sacrifice of Jesus on the cross will ascend with him into heaven to meet God.  Those who haven't will be left here.  Left Behind.

Am I narrow minded?  Perhaps but the bible said that narrow is the path to Heaven but wide is the path to hell.  I don't believe that I am narrow minded.  I believe what I believe.  I don't believe it because my mom told me to.  I don't believe it because it's the "cool" thing to do.  I believe it because when I was a little girl, about the same age as my oldest son now, I knew in my heart of hearts that God was, that He is, that the bible was true, that Jesus was real and was really Messiah.  I KNEW that God was the ONE person/being that would NEVER let me down.  That He would always be the rock I could cling to.  I didn't trust in Him because I was afraid of hell, I trusted in Him because He gave me peace.  As an adult I've had many times and I'm sure I'll have many more, when I question.  Question the narrow-mindedness of it all, question the chances of it all.  In the end I am always drawn back to nature, to creation, to knowing that our universe didn't just pop into being all on it's lonesome.  That it has a creator and that creator is God and that He was willing to send His own son to die for me so that *I* could have a relationship with HIM.  Wow.  Just wow.  I don't know how anyone can look at the stars or the trees or study the life cycle and claim there is no God.  I really don't.  It boggles my mind.

And so we were spared from the rapture this weekend.  But it is coming.  The time is growing short.  I pray my friend that if you are not one who has accepted Jesus as your savior that you take the time NOW to consider what I've said.  Seek out the truth for yourself straight from the word of God.  I've heard that John is a great place to start in the bible for people seeking the truth.

With that I pray you all have a blessed Sunday.  As for me and my household we will finally be getting our home cleaned back up after a morning of worship with friends at church.

No comments:

Post a Comment